Merli (メルリ) is a Japanese VOCALOID developed and is distributed by the YAMAHA Corporation, created in collaboration with i-style Project. She was released in December 2013 for the VOCALOID3 engine. Her voice is provided by a contest winner, Japanese female, Misaki Kamata (鎌田美沙紀; Kamata Misaki), and is a Character Voice type VOCALOID.
A contest was held to determine the name their second character known under the development name of "Project Second". i-Style noted that the chosen name did not have to have a surname at all and surname-less names would be accepted. "Merli" was chosen out of the list of suggested candidates by fans and became her official name.
Merli is identifiable by 3 distinct traits to her over Lapis in her official bio;
- She is strong-minded and tsundere; a charming mysterious girl, who is innocent and expressive.
- If Lapis is "light", Merli is "Darkness".
- Though she is Lapis' older sister, she is also a rival to her, making them the first protagonist and antagonist of Vocaloid.
As she is the same race as Lapis she shares the same concept. She is also from a fairy race, they are special people who can convert “songs” into “power”, and can only be seen by a subset of the human population. Merli's power draws away the energy of living things; the opposite of Lapis' power.
Music featuring MerliEdit
- Merli is featured in 22 songs and 8 albums on this wiki.
- There are listings for notable, original, and cover songs.
Examples of usage
|How many tears|
Much like Lapis, a lot of the marketing around Merli has been centered directly on the fans.
For her release, a CD was also produced.
|Merli's character status|
Merli's iVOCALOID version proceeded to claim the no.1 spot in the music section of the iTunes Japanese App Store soon after release.