Tonio follows on from the success of Vocaloid PRIMA, Zero-G announced a release date of February 2010 for Vocaloid TONIO, a brand-new plug-in virtual singer modeled on the voice of a professional male classical singer, and powered by Yamaha VOCALOID2 Singing Synthesis Technology.
His stock photo is of young man in a tuxedo and is meant to convey a young opera singer portrayal. However, this is not meant to be his offical character, much the same as other past Zero-G Vocaloids (sole exception being Sonika).
Tonio's Taiwan design is a reference to monster/oni in Asian opera house stories.
His fan item has been viewed as the Martini as his proposed character item (because Prima's was said to be wine). Sonika later twittered about Tonio being unable to go swimming on their holiday since he was suspicious of any liquid not at least partly Martini based. Notably, Tonio's item is the only established item that has been confirmed of any Zero-G Vocaloid.
While it is unknown why Zero-G choose this name, "Tonio" is one of several names variant names which are deprieved from the name "Antonius" (the modern version being "Antonio"), which is taken from the old greek word "anthos" meaning "flower". It is considered an alternative variantion to the name "Tony" (which is also deprieved from the same origins) and is used as both a Spanish and English name for boys.
Examples of UsageEdit
| Before adding translated or subbed videos, please read this tutorial in order not to list gravely mistranslated ones.
To our readers and editors, for section notes please read; Notes; Examples sections.
|Featuring:||Tonio (v3 import), Prima (v3 import)|
| Youtube Broadcast |
| Youtube Broadcast |
|Nicovideo Broadcast Youtube Broadcast |
|Listing of songs|
|Notable songs by Vocaloid|
|Assorted songs by Vocaloid. Page count ( 8 )|
|Albums featuring Vocaloid. Page count ( 3 )|
When he was first mentioned by Zero-G, they noted that they were planning to redesign their older vocaloids, but neither he nor Prima would get a new look as they felt they were fine the way they are. This is because Tonio is one of their professionally aimed Voicebanks and so the boxart and voicebank is not aimed at the general Vocaloid fandom itself.
His boxart is from a stock image. The photographer was Alija who has submitted her work to various stock photo websites. An example of the original is here titled "Portrait of Young Man Wearing Tuxedo, Black and White" File#: 7060644, there are other images based on the model.
He did not receive the same impact as Prima did and to top it off, his release came at an awkward time when focus was on the new stream of Japanese Vocaloids like Lily. Ironically, had he come out when he was first proposed (early 2010), he would have had no competition from any other Vocaloid and would have had more focus.
In both the Western and Japanese fandom he is amongst the least seen in use of the English capable Vocaloids on Nico Nico Douga and Youtube. In the the 2011 top Zero-G products ranking released in 2011, Tonio was the only one of the 3 Vocaloid 2 voicebanks from Zero-G that was not in their top 25 rankings. He is overall ranked as the least seen Vocaloid 2 voicebank. However, despite this in 2010, Crypton Future Media produced a ranking of the Vocaloids they sold on their website. Tonio was ranked the 10th most popular Vocaloid they sold, and the process the third most popular of the imported Vocaloids that Crypton sold. 
A independent Vocaloid search on Nico Nico Douga revealed that most Vocaloids had less then 1,000 videos uploaded on Nico Nico Douga in between July 1 and December 15 with Tonio falling into that category as well.
- Since he follows Big-Al, who also had a late release a joke within the fandom notes how the male English vocaloid always seem to be late arriving (also often joked as "suffering from Big Al syndrome"). Even within the Japanese fandom, jokes are made about Tonio and Sonika being nearly obscure due to their bad timing, the former being more obvious.
- A little bit of personality has been revealed from time to time via Sonika's Twitter. According to Sonika when Prima, Tonio and herself went camping, Tonio spent the whole time complaining. Incidentally, the lack of martinis were his biggest complaint.
- Just as Prima is referred to as by Sonika as "Auntie Prima", Sonika referred to Tonio as "Uncle Tonio", but also confirmed the two are not married and this was just a term Sonika referred to them as.
- First male Vocaloid 2 produced by Zero-G
- New Engloid Blog- Tonio (tag search)
- Tonio fanart DeviantArt / Pixiv / Piapro
- Tonio models on MikuMikuDance wiki
- Tonio derivatives on Fanloid wiki